So you’ve probably come to this page wondering how we make money, what the disclaimer’s at the end of some posts mean, how we travel, how we choose who to work with… that sort of thing. Or maybe you’re just bored.
Well, whatever the reason, we thought we’d lay out a short code of ethics for the site that’ll let you see, transparently, what it is that we’re up to, how we make our money, and what our goals are for the two sites that we run.
First, some basics. We’re travel writers and photographers, and you, dear reader, are our audience. Hello!
Our goals for the site are quite simple. We want to:
- Share our stories and photos
- Inspire YOU to travel and visit the places we go
- Provide you with information to help you plan your trips
- Generate an income that lets up keep doing the above three things
The last point is of course the key one. Let me explain how we make our income. We do that by:
- Working directly for companies and producing content for them, either written or media like photos
- Selling photography services to companies, including event photography, teaching photography, and directly selling photos of destinations or products
- Generating affiliate sales. Sometimes we will recommend products to you that you can perhaps buy online, or recommend a booking site for hotels. We only recommend products that we actually use ourselves that we believe in.
- On-site advertising through banner adverts etc.
- Marketing directly to our audience – sometimes a company want to share its story via our social media channels, either through a giveaway or a review or something like that. We will, again, only work with brands that we are excited about and genuinely believe in. Here’s an example.
- Taking sponsored trips. We are often invited on trips to experience destinations, these are also referred to as “press” or “fam” trips. Usually these include at least accommodation, transport and food, and they can also include a daily rate to cover our time and effort. Experiencing a destination, taking photos and creating content is time consuming, and it is nice to be rewarded for our efforts – although our primary goal is to create great content, and we only go on trips that excite us that we think you’ll be inspired by.
So, here’s our code of ethics:
- Never recommend a product or service that we don’t believe in ourselves, as well as ensuring we share all relevant links, affiliate program or not.
- Only go on trips, paid or otherwise, that we genuinely want to go on and write about. If we’re offered a trip and it’s not something we would have done normally, we won’t do it.
- Only work with brands that we believe in that are relevant to you
- Never allow content to be dictated – we control everything that appears in the content we create, and we will only share our honest opinions. Our loyalty lies to you, our readers, not to any brand or destination that we work with. That said, the site is about sharing positive travel experiences, and we rarely have a bad time, but if we do, we’ll tell you about it!
- Ensure that at least 50% of the content we share is unsponsored
- Always disclose clearly when posts are part of a marketing campaign, and make it clear in our blog posts what we received from a sponsor, be that accommodation, flights, food, or financial compensation, and link to our code of ethics as part of that.
And that’s it! Thanks for reading.Home »