I thought I’d do something a little bit different today. Instead of regaling you with tales of my adventures, or sharing my photography (well, I’m going to do that anyway, all text posts are so 2010 on this blog), or sharing my tips on photography, travel, or technology (I write about a random pile of stuff it seems), I’m going to tell you some things you might not know about me. Yes, me. The camera turns inwards, folks.
To make this easy, I’m presenting the information in a snappy, bullet point format. You can award yourself marks out of 14 at the end if you like. If you get all 14, congratulations, you must be my mother. HI MUM!
- I always wanted to be a pilot. When I was 17, I took my first solo flight in an aircraft, after 7hrs 35min of training. I loved it, then decided I didn’t want to be a glorified taxi driver. Now I see the world from cattle class.
- Talking of planes, I’m the only person I know who has taken the controls of a commercial aircraft, with double digit passengers on board, and performed a take off. With no actual training. Or license. Or those other reassuring things you expect your pilots to have. Also at the age of 17.
- I was on honeymoon with Paul McCartney. His, not mine.
- Whilst we’re on the subject of celebrities, I had lunch with Tony Blair while he was PM. I don’t think I made a terribly memorable impression.
- I grew up on a tiny island in the Seychelles, which meant I had to teach myself much of what I know today. This probably explains a lot.
- Douglas Adams is by far my favourite author.
- I once caught a fish eagle when tiger fishing on the Zambezi. This was somewhat unexpected. No fish eagles were harmed in the making of this post.
- I really despise liquorice. And sprouts. Although the latter is apparently, genetic. At a stretch, I can force sambuca down my throat. For social purposes, you understand.
- I’m quite afraid of heights. I tend to try and get over this by standing as close as possible to large drops.
- I have a scar that goes up my leg from when I fell over a rusted 44 gallon oil drum / flower pot at the age of three. When we meet, I may claim it was a shark attack. This will not be true.
- I lived in a tent for a year in Australia. Here I was able to set a personal record for days without a shower of 14. Although after seven days I did break, and threw myself into a potentially crocodile infested river out of desperation.
- I was engaged. That didn’t work out.
- Cat Stevens and I shared a flat in London. Admittedly we needed a time machine to actually see each other, but the thought is there.
- I love video games. I’ve pretty much gone cold turkey on them though, as they took up too much of my time. Now I play with photo editing software instead.
Well, that was painless. How did you do? And what is there about you that I don’t know? Let me know in the comments below!Home »