On our recent trip to Glasgow Jess and I were both impressed by the amount and quality of the street art in Glasgow. So much so in fact, that of course we wanted to share it with you.
In today’s post I’m going to take you on a tour of some of our favourite pieces of the street art in Glasgow. These range from murals depicting the sporting history of the city, through to some famous Glaswegians, and even a variety of wildlife. Something for everyone! Let’s get started with the:
Street Art in Glasgow
Definitely one of our favourite pieces of street art in Glasgow, this is by the street artist “Smug”, and it depicts a modern day St. Mungo – Glasgow’s patron Saint who happens to be buried in the Cathedral a few hundred yards from this piece.
If you take a tour of the Tennents factory, you’ll see that it’s not just the walls where you can find murals – Tennents actually hired street artists to paint the sides of their factory. Which we think is pretty cool.
I’m a big fan of space, so obviously I was excited to find a number of space themed murals, including the spaceman.
Where to Find Street Art in Glasgow
I’m reluctant to share with you the exact locations of all these pieces, not because I’m the secretive kind, but because street art is by it’s very nature somewhat transient. Whilst I would like to think that these murals will all be here for years to come, there’s always the chance that they’ll be painted over or replaced – or new murals will be added!
Instead, I’d like to direct you to the official Glasgow City Centre Mural Trail website. This has information on where to find the majority of the pieces above, as well as a great many more, with a handy walking guide to get you to all of them. It’s also kept up to date with any changes – even since our visit there have been new additions to get excited about!
Further Reading for Your Visit to Glasgow
Hopefully these photos have helped inspire you to include Glasgow in your travel plans! If so, here’s a bit more reading to help you make those plans.
- There’s more to Glasgow than the street art! To help you plan your stay, here’s our 2 Day Glasgow & Loch Lomond itinerary, which covers the highlights of the city and the nearby Loch Lomond area.
- If you’re visiting Glasgow, we’re sure you’re also thinking of visiting Edinburgh too. Check out our guide to spending two days in Edinburgh, as well as getting off the beaten path in Edinburgh.
- If you’re a Harry Potter fan, you’ve got to check out Jess’s Guide to the Best Edinburgh Harry Potter locations.
- If you were thinking of taking a trip around the UK and want to include Glasgow as part of that itinerary, we have both a one week itinerary of the UK and a two week itinerary of the UK for you to give you some ideas for what’s possible in those timeframes..
- Heading further out of the city? How about a trip to the Scottish Borders or a tour of some Whisky distilleries?
Or, if you want to get further afield, check out our five day Isle of Skye and Highlands itinerary
- If you’re interested in getting better photos when you travel, take a look at my online photography course, where I’ll teach you everything you need to know about getting better photos – whatever camera you have!
- And finally, if you want a guidebook, either physical or digital here’s a Rick Steves guide to Scotland as well as this Insight Guide to Glasgow to help get you started!